Retirement is the perfect time to explore and experience new things, and Derby is a great city to base yourself in while you do so. Located in the heart of England, Derby is easy to get to from many parts of the country, and if you choose to live in our Albany Lodge Retirement village, there are a number of fantastic day trips that can be taken from your base in your luxury retirement apartment. Here are our top five picks for spring 2023:
- Peak District National Park: Just a short drive from Derby, the Peak District National Park is a beautiful area of rolling hills, quaint villages, and stunning natural beauty. There are numerous walking and cycling trails to explore, as well as attractions such as Chatsworth House and Haddon Hall. The park is easily accessible by car, and there are also a number of public transportation options available, making it a convenient and enjoyable day trip for retirees.
- Nottingham: Located about 20 miles from Derby, Nottingham is a city with a rich history and a number of interesting attractions. Highlights include Nottingham Castle, the City of Caves, and for the more creative types, the Nottingham Contemporary art gallery is a must. The city is easily accessible by bus or train, and there are a number of accommodation options available if you want to extend your stay.
- Lincoln: Lincoln is a city with a rich history, and is home to a number of interesting landmarks and attractions. These include the Lincoln Cathedral, the Lincoln Castle, and the Lincolnshire Wolds, an area of rolling hills and pretty villages. The area is a popular destination for walkers and cyclists, and offers a peaceful and scenic escape from the hustle and bustle of city life.
- Alton Towers: Alton Towers is a popular theme park located about an hour’s drive from Derby. It’s a great destination for families, with a range of thrilling rides, a water park, and a variety of other attractions, perfect to entertain the grandchildren during the school holidays. While the park may be more geared towards younger visitors, there are still plenty of things for retirees to enjoy, such as the gardens and the more relaxing rides.
- Birmingham: Located about an hour’s drive from Derby, Birmingham is a vibrant and diverse city with a range of cultural attractions, shopping, and dining options. Highlights include the Bullring shopping centre, the National Sea Life Centre, and the Birmingham Museum and Art Gallery.
Close enough to enjoy several trips from your base at Albany Lodge retirement living, Birmingham will never be boring, there are a number of things to do in the city, including some more unusual activities including: visiting the Coffin Works museum, which is dedicated to the history of coffin-making; touring the City of Caves, a network of underground sandstone quarries; and exploring the Selly Manor Museum, a historic house filled with period furniture and artifacts. Other offbeat attractions include the Pen Museum, which celebrates the history of pen-making, and the Back to Backs, a collection of historic courtyard houses that have been preserved as a museum.
Living in Derby offers a range of great day trip options for retirees, whether you’re interested in exploring the outdoors, experiencing culture and history, or just having fun. Whatever your interests, you’re sure to find something that appeals to you within easy reach of the city. Just remember to plan your trip in advance and make sure you have all the necessary arrangements in place, such as transportation and accommodation, to ensure a smooth and enjoyable day out.